Are you dreaming of owning a successful online clothing store?
Do you want to know the steps of building your own without wasting your time and money?
If you're new to the eCommerce world or looking to add clothing and apparel to your business portfolio, then this post is for you! We will guide you throughout the steps you need to take to start a successful online clothing store. This article will help you plan, form, and grow your clothing business.
So sit back, grab your coffee and get ready to learn more today.
Step 1: Choose your Online Clothing Store Niche
First, you need to decide which apparel niche you’re passionate about. Choose what appeals to your potential shoppers and make sure you can uniquely position your store. It will help you limit the competition and increase the chances of having loyal customers in the long run.
Step 2: Choose your products
So you've already chosen your niche, it's time to select your products. In the clothing and apparel market, there's a bunch of options that you can sell. It's advisable to start small, and then you can expand as you grow. Instead of putting a lot of products, isolate the must-have products that you can launch with. Focus on your end goal. This will ensure that you will be able to implement new and trending products more seamlessly.
Step 3: Choose your Online Clothing Business Model
There are five types of business models that you can use for your online clothing business such as:
- Custom Cut-and-Sew - You will be the one who will design your clothing and manufacture it. It will take the time and budget needed to launch your first line.
- Print-On-Demand Clothing Store Business model - You will print your logo and design onto blank apparel, and everything is automated.
- Private Label Clothing Store Business Model - this kind of model is when you buy blank apparel and add your design of label/tag.
- Traditional Business Model - a store buys clothing wholesale, and resells from its own warehouse.
- Dropshipping Clothing Store Business Model - when a store sells a product, it purchases the item from a third party and has it shipped directly to the customer.
Step 4: Outline your Business Plan
Now you have your niche, products and business model: it's time to outline your business plan that includes :
- Market (potential shoppers into segmented markets)
- Products (what makes them unique)
- Competitors (list the top most competitors)
- Business model/strategies
- Brand/company description(how you want your customers to view your brand)
And consider these substantial costs:
- Equipment, web development
- Production cost per product
- Design and development
- Labor and transportation
Step 5: Creating your Online Clothing Store
The first thing that you will need is a domain. You can buy your domain directly through eCommerce platforms. Next, you will want to choose your theme and platform. It's essential to create a website that is user-friendly and easy to navigate. Also, make sure that you have good quality images for your products even when you're dropshipping.
Step 6: Launching your Online Clothing Store
Here are some launch tips to help you get started.
- Define your strategy - Are you going to do a Facebook Live video? How are you going to run a promotion?
- Prepare your Social Media Accounts - have your accounts active, set, and ready.
- Have your Email Marketing Strategy and Automation in place
Step 7: Bring traffic to your Online Clothing Store
The most crucial factor for your business' growth and success. Therefore, if you increase targeted traffic, you increase sales. The biggest traffic drivers are:
- Email Marketing
- Social Media
Check out next: 6 Reasons Why Shoppers Still Prefer Brick-and-Mortar